These low-carb, grain - and sugar-free muffins are a super, slow-release snack full of nutrients to keep the brain sharp.
Gluten Free - Low Carb - Dairy Free Option - Diabetic friendly. Courtesy of Maggie Lynch.
coconut flour 50g
finely milled flax seed ½ tsp sea salt
½ tsp bread soda
¼ tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
2 tbs coconut oil
40g chopped pecans
1 medium eating apple, very finely grated
2 tbsp Manuka Health MGO Manuka Honey
2 eggs (4 eggs if making dairy free)
1 70 – 200 ml buttermilk (100 – 120 ml soya yoghurt for dairy free version)
1. Pre-heat oven to 170˚C. Line muffin tins with paper cases.
2. Sieve all dry ingredients into a bowl, rub in coconut oil and add the nuts.
3. In a small bowl mix the eggs, buttermilk, Manuka Health MGO Manuka Honey and grated apples together until blended.
4. Make a well in the flour. Add liquid, stir in circles with your hand, bringing excess flour from the outside to the centre until all mixed in. The mixture should have a thick batter consistency.
5. Divide the mixture between the muffin cases. Place in oven at 170˚C for 15-20 minutes or until muffins are cooked. Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack.
6. Store in fridge up to 2 days or freeze individually and use as required.